Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sean Huze's "The Sand Storm"





Sean Huze “The Sand Storm” Response
While reading “The Sand Storm”, I cannot believe the amount of emotion I felt. I cannot imagine, if I had such strong emotions come out, how strong these men’s emotions were during their time there. As I read along, I was able to vividly picture what was going on. I really felt like I lost myself in his descriptive scenes. I have multiple friends that have been overseas to fight in the war and the amount of worry and sadness I have is so deep, but I just try and remind myself they are doing it for their country and are proud to be there for their country. It was wonderful to hear of all the different thoughts and feelings of how the war was perceived to them.
Throughout the play there was a couple of different scenes where the men were describing their thoughts on killing and some more gruesome than others. In the play where CPL WATERS states, “I never took my eyes off of him the whole time I ate. The more he wept and pleaded, the more I enjoyed my meal” (pg. 9). He is showing how he has no regret or sadness to allow this man to suffer as he is dying. I truly believe everyone has a different mindset on when it comes to death and how they handle it. My thoughts about when you take that oath to join the military, you have to have the strength to be put through anything.
For these men that have been on the battle field the life that lay ahead of them will never be the same. This play has definitely given a better understanding of what is going on with the men that have had to go through the tragedy of death and their fallen soldiers to protect our country. In the play they talk about the men’s empty shells, well when the men come out the war zone and back into reality, they are not really ever leaving the zone. They are living the rest of their lives with the visuals and stories of the tragedies that they have just faced.
Works Cited
The Sandstorm: Stories From The Front. By Sean Huze. Directed by David Fofi. The Elephant Asylum Theater, Los Angeles. 29 April 2005.


http://www.alternet.org/world/20358/

No comments:

Post a Comment